Heading off to college can be really hard on you, your wallet, and the planet. Ever heard of the “freshman 15”? Well, it’s not just your weight you have to control. Succeeding at UofL also means controlling your spending, taking advantage of all the free resources available to you, protecting your health & wellness, and taking personal responsibility for your global impact. Fortunately, UofL’s Sustainability Council is here to help!
We not only want you to know where to find guilt-free solar hot showers on campus (the Student Rec Center!), how to recycle at UofL (all kinds of plastics, paper, metal, cardboard, and glass go in the same bins everywhere), and where to load up on delicious, healthy local food with zero waste (inside The Ville Grill for meals; outside Thursdays 3:30-6:30 for the new Belknap Farmers’ Market)…but we also want you to know the secrets to sustainable living that will keep you healthy, happy, out of debt! Here’s some green tips to get you started:
- UofL Free Store: Our very own thrift store…where everything is free! Swing by the basement of Unitas Hall to donate unwanted items or load up on clothes, shoes, supplies, and stuff for residence hall living.
- Garden Commons: Get dirty with your friends, learn to grow food and reap the harvest of delicious veggies and fruits! Just steps away from the clock tower is an organic garden at the Cultural Center run by and for students. Please partake!
- Drop Disposable Habits: Buying bottled water wastes money & trashes the planet. Louisville’s award-winning tap water is clean & refreshing, so refill your bottle for free! Get a discount at UofL Dining by refilling your own bottle or mug.
- Don’t bring a car to campus! Parking, gas & maintenance are expensive headaches. Avoid the hassle, save money, stay fit, and have fun getting around:
1. Bike: UofL is the most bike-friendly university in Kentucky! You can Earn-A-Bike ($400 bike shop voucher) just by forgoing a UofL parking permit for 2 years (apply by Aug. 28). Free daily bike checkout is also available through our BikeShare programs at the SRC, Humana Gym, Bettie Johnson, Kurz, and Community Park.
- 2. Bus: The entire local bus system (TARC) is free for you! Just show the driver your UofL ID as you board. Inter-city buses also connect Louisville to towns throughout Kentucky (inc. Lexington, Frankfort, Elizabethtown, Bowling Green, Owensboro, Marion, Mayfield, Morganfield & Sturgis), Indiana, Illinois, Ohio & Tennessee.
3. Car-Share: If you ever need a car, you can always borrow one of ours! Open to any driver over 18. Join UofL CarShare to rent a car with gas & insurance for $8/hour.
4. Ride-Share: Find or offer rides to/from anywhere with UofL’s free, secure Zimride system!